Best Diet for Hashimoto’s
Inside: Are you looking for the best diet for Hashimoto’s disease? If so, look no further. This guide will help you find the right diet to manage your symptoms and improve your health.
If you suffer from Hashimoto's, you will learn about some of the best foods to eat and habits to adopt if you want to manage the condition.
The most common type of autoimmune thyroid disorder is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which leads to hypothyroidism or under activity of the thyroid gland. Hashimoto affects your metabolism, hormone regulation, and body temperature if you suffer from it.
In order to ease the symptoms and control the disease, a proper nutritional diet should be followed. It can ease the symptoms and help you control the disease by preventing hair loss, dry skin, weight gain, fatigue, constipation, and sensitivity to cold.
Best Diet for Hashimoto’s
It is possible to treat Hashimoto's with a variety of food diets, but there is no universal rule of thumb since the treatment is completely individual. The best way to figure out what works for you is to observe how your body reacts to any type of diet. However, there are a few diets that have been clinically proven to be effective in treating Hashimoto'
Hashimoto’s patients may be allergic to gluten, which is a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, and other grains. It is therefore a good idea to follow a gluten-free diet since it reduces constipation, diarrhea, cramping, bloating, nausea, reflux, gas, headaches, fatigue, and brain fog and improves digestion, mood, energy levels, and weight loss.
Focus on foods that are naturally gluten-free, such as vegetables, fruits, lean meats, seafood, beans, legumes, nuts, and eggs.
Consult Functional Medicine Expert
As well as eliminating gluten, it eliminates grains as well. A number of people with Hashimoto's have found better results after eliminating amaranth, teff, quinoa, millet, oats, and buckwheat, but a diet free of these grains also deprives the body of certain nutrients. Thus, you should keep an eye on your body while following a Grain-Free Diet to determine if it works for you.
Paleo or Autoimmune Paleo Diet
A Paleo Diet is a way of eating that is based on the eating pattern of our early ancestors, which was based on whole, unprocessed foods.
Consequently, this diet eliminates grains, dairy, potatoes, beans, lentils, refined sugars, and refined oils and promotes the consumption of vegetables, nuts (except peanuts), seeds, seafood, and healthy fats, including avocados, olive oil, and grass-fed meat. The objective of this diet is to reduce inflammation and gut damage in the body.
Get a FREE 15 min Functional medicine Consultation
Low GI Diet
The Low GI Diet eliminates foods that cause rapid blood sugar spikes. Thus, one should eat lower glycemic foods that have low thyroid antibodies. Low GI diets are also associated with lower heart disease risks and weight loss in some cases.
In case you are unsure which foods to eliminate, a Nutrient-Dense Diet may be the best option. It consists of a wide variety of foods that emphasize the consumption of whole foods, including colourful fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, lean proteins, and fibrous carbohydrates.
Therefore, your diet should include:
- A variety of leafy greens, including kale and spinach.
- A variety of coloured vegetables, including Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, beets, and red, yellow, and orange peppers.
- Fruits, including berries, apples, and bananas Healthy fats, including avocado and walnuts Lean proteins
- Including tofu, eggs, nuts, beans, and fish Fibrous foods, including beans and legumes
In addition to eating nutrient-dense whole foods, you can also add anti-inflammatory spices such as turmeric, ginger, or garlic to your diet to make your gut happy.
Schedule an expert call with Thyroid Doctor
Food Habits to help
Rather than these diets, we should also focus on certain food habits that will help us to treat Hashimoto's:
- By reducing carb intake and balancing blood sugar levels, anxiety, weight gain, hair loss, irritability, weakened adrenals, fatigue, and increased thyroid antibodies are all symptoms of carbohydrate imbalances. To balance blood sugar levels, one should limit the intake of carbohydrates and eat plenty of good fats and proteins.
- Choosing fish that are low in mercury levels is a good idea: Seafood is a good source of Omega 3 that reduces inflammation and restores immunity, but eating fish with high mercury levels can result in thyroid dysfunction because it increases your body's mercury levels. Therefore, one should eat salmon and trout that are low in mercury.
Book 15 min FREE Functional Medicine Consultaiton
- Intake of Iodine: Although iodine is necessary for thyroid function, excess intake may adversely affect Hashimoto's patients. Hence, a small intake of iodine between 150-220 mcg daily is usually considered suitable for Hashimoto's patients.
- Consuming Good Fats and Proteins: Considering that fats are essential for brain functions, healthy skin, glossy hair, and cell membrane formation, it's important to consume good fats like fish, olive oil, and coconut oil, which contain quality protein that relieves fatigue, muscle weakness, blood sugar imbalances, constipation, leaky gut, fertility issues, developmental delays, and more.
- Foods rich in Vitamin D and Selenium: Include foods rich in Vitamin D in your diet. Some of the best sources of Vitamin D are cod liver oil, swordfish, salmon, tuna, fortified orange juice, fortified milk, sardines, and mushrooms. The thyroid gland stores selenium, which is essential for brain function, immunity, and fertility. Hashimoto's patients are deficient in selenium Selenium is stored in the thyroid gland, so consuming foods that are high in selenium is imperative. Brazil nuts, halibut, tuna, oysters, sardines, lobster, grass-fed beef, sunflower seeds, and eggs are some of the best sources of Selenium.
You can help your body fight Hashimoto's by eating a well-balanced diet that is rich in whole and unprocessed foods. Therefore, as per the guidelines above, try different diets and see what works best for you and regain your health back.